Emerald, the vibrant green to greenish blue variety of the mineral beryl, is the gemstone traditionally considered the birthstone of May. Beryl is a colorful family of gems, ranging from the pastel shades of blue aquamarine and pink morganite to the deeper tones of yellow heliodor. All beryl gemstones possess similar crystal formations and physical properties, but differ in chemical composition. The gemstone emerald is expected to hold naturally occurring inclusions. Inclusions density will vary, but they are accepted in this gemstone and have even earned the nickname “jardin”, which is french for garden.
Emerald can occur in hues from green to slightly bluish green with its most desirable color being pure green with vivid color and saturation. The gemstone receives its intense color from trace amounts of chromium and sometimes vanadium.
Emeralds can grow in a variety of locations but it occurs mostly commonly in pegmatite bearing granite. Listed below are the locations where emeralds naturally occur and are mined to be transformed into beautifully faceted gemstones. An emerald’s color reflects the beginning greens of spring, which makes it the perfect choice for the birthstone of May.
- Colombia – Columbia is the most famous source of emeralds that there has ever been.
- Brazil – Strict environmental laws makes Brazil’s Belmont Emerald Mine one of the most eco-friendly colored stone mining operations worldwide.
- Israel – The country of Israel is famous for its emerald cutting operations.
- Zambia – Zambia is currently one of the most important producers of emeralds.
- Zimbabwe – The Sandawana Valley in Zimbaber produces small but intensely color saturated emeralds.
- India – The city of Jaipur in India is a leading cutting and trading center for emeralds as well as several other gemstones.
- China – China currently produces lower quality emeralds but it has the potential to be the next important supplier of the gemstone.
- Afghanistan – Despite years of conflict, the Panjshir Valley in northern Afghanistan still produces some of the finest quality emeralds ever seen.
- Russia – The Ural Mountains of Russia have produced good quality emeralds for years.
If you are lucky enough to hold the legendary emerald as your birthstone, let us at Knox Jewelers help you custom create a one-of-a-kind piece to showcase this beautiful vibrant green gemstone. Emerald green is the standard which all other green gemstones are compared to. Any custom piece of jewelry could be tailored to incorporate this remarkable birthstone. The possibility are endless with such a versatile mineral. A Knox Jewelers custom created piece, featuring a beautiful emerald is the perfect way to celebrate any occasion falling within the month. Contact us today and let’s get started. We have a selection of emeralds available just waiting to be transformed!